The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a standardized curriculum offered in more than 24 countries across the world. The CBSE is a Board of Education for public and private schools, under the Union Government of India. CBSE conducts the final examinations for Class 10 and Class 12. It is a child centered and holistic education program that prepares students for college life and beyond. It is also an internationally recognized and accepted qualification for entry into higher education.
The CBSE provides a holistic approach to learning using innovate methods to develop both disciplinary and interdisciplinary understanding. In addition to academic excellence, it encourages independent learning, inquiry, risk-taking, caring, open-mindedness and intercultural understanding. It strives to adapt and innovate methods to achieve academic excellence in conformity with psychological, pedagogical and social principles. This worldwide approved curriculum with its unique features obviously has captured the patronage of the student parent community.
The CBSE envisions a robust, vibrant and holistic school education that will engender excellence in every sphere of human endeavor. The Board is committed to provide quality education to promote intellectual, social and cultural vivacity among its learners. It works towards evolving a learning process and environment, which empowers the future citizens to become global leaders in the emerging knowledge society. The Board advocates Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation with an emphasis on holistic development of learners. The Board commits itself to providing a stress-free learning environment that will develop competent, confident and enterprising citizens who will promote harmony and peace.
SOME SALIENT FEATURES OF CBSE CURRICULUM
- The syllabus is very structured and controlled. It makes use of standardized textbooks.
- No child can fail a class till 8th
- Most entrance exams conducted in the country for college admission follow this syllabus.
- Favored by those who constantly relocate within India or even abroad to countries in the Middle East and seek a standardized curriculum.
- Favored by those who want to go into the traditional routes of Engineering/Medical
- Curriculum Focus at Secondary Level: This focuses on 7 major learning subjects ( Actual subjects offered will vary from school to school)
- Humanities- Geography, History, Economics, Home science, Fine Arts, Sociology, Political Science, Fashion Studies, Creative Writing and related subjects
- Science and Technology- Subjects related to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Information Practices and Web and Multimedia Studies
- Health and Physical Education
- Visual and Performing arts- Dance, Drama, Drawing, Music, Painting, Crafts and Sculpture
- Commerce- Business Studies, Accountancy, Entrepreneurship and related subjects
CBSE PROVISIONS ON SPECIAL EDUCATION
The CBSE system also mandates Special Education. Children who seem to be having learning difficulties in class are referred to the school counselor. The counselor then observes the child and then may refer the child to a Special Education teacher. Remedial classes may be conducted for those children separately by the Special Education teacher. Exam papers set for such children are done taking into consideration the adaptions and modifications required for such a child. For example, some children know the material but have a reading difficulty. For such children, the question papers will be read out loud so that they can answer.
BENEFITS OF THE CBSE PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- The program allows you to study rigorously and develop skills at the same time. The CBSE syllabus is presented in a more scientific manner.
- CBSE graduates are truly college ready. As the program fosters a variety of academic and non-academic knowledge, skills and abilities, they provide the ideal platform for a successful transition from high school to college.
- The syllabus prepared by CBSE is more suitable for qualifying in various entrance examinations in India.
In conclusion, the CBSE is a learning experience which does focus on the overall career development of a student by synchronizing its academics with the requirements of competitive exams as well as polishing the students skill sets through various extra-curricular activities. CBSE is extremely focused on science and mathematics with a lot of attention paid to the application of knowledge.